Friday, March 15, 2013

Left or right?



Which is your drawing hand?  Left or right?  Or are you ambidextrous?

My right hand is my drawing hand, my most everything hand.  The left goes along for the ride but doesn't have the dexterity for fine skills such as drawing.  Any drawing I've tried with my left look like a child's drawing - shaky, broken lines without the smooth strokes that the right hand can produce.

This sketch is of my right hand.  I was lying in bed, considering light and shapes and hands and took some shots of my right hand and wrist with my cell phone camera.  Drawing extremeties can be challenging for artists, but as with most everything, if its broken down into simple shapes then built up from there, the intricacies can be figured out.  The idea of a small series of hand drawings, perhaps in charcoal piques my interest.

Did you know?
  • Approximately 8 to 15% of the adult population is left-handed.
  • Studies indicate that left-handedness is more common in males than females.
  • Left-handedness, in comparison to the general population, also appears to occur more frequently in identical twins, and several groups of neurologically disordered individuals
  • Statistically, the identical twin of a left-handed person has a 76% chance of being left-handed, identifying the cause(s) as partly genetic and partly environmental.
  • It is also noted that many bisexuals and homosexuals are left-handed more than their heterosexual counterparts.
  • Also people of South Asian, Eastern European, Southeast Asian descent are more left-handed than any other ethnic groups in the world, while people of Western European, Northern European, and African descent are less left-handed.

10 comments:

"JeanneG" said...

Right-handed. Left can do nothing. I have noticed that more people seem to be left handed these days.

Unknown said...

I'm a lefty, and I'm always fascinated to read what that is supposed to say about me. However, most left handers are also left eye dominant, and I am right eye dominant. A real weirdo all the way around. That explains alot, actually...
Thanks for posting this interesting stuff and WOW, thats an awesome drawing! I love the creativeness of the hand in the water and the way you rendered it so beautifully with such excellent composition and technique!

Vandy said...

Very interesting post, and an impressive left-handed drawing! I can't even write a simple sentence with my left hand.

I'm sure you can improve the ability to do things with your non-dominant hand, but that would take consistent effort

Jeanette Jobson said...

Jeanne I think that lefthandedness was hidden and suppressed in children in school, at least in my days in school, but now its accepted as the norm. This is likely why you are more aware of it.

The adaptation around lefthandedness is a challenge I'm sure and interesting to note dominant sides affected.

The hand isn't in water, just a crack in the double sheet in the sketchbook, but I think it looks like its in water too. :)

Vandy, I didn't draw this with my left hand, I had taken some shots of my right hand to use for a future project and this is one of them. I'd be hopeless drawing with my left hand!

And yes I'm sure you can train your non dominant hand to improve in finer motor skills, but as you say, it would take time.

RH Carpenter said...

Beautiful drawing! And interesting info about lefties - Sweetie is a lefty and I was born a lefty but trained out of it before I got to school (back then, they didn't want you being a lefty if you could change it early). I wonder how many people born in the 50's and 60's were "corrected" to the right, rather than allowed to be left-handed?

Celeste Bergin said...

Jeanette! what a good drawing and your post gives me a perfect "excuse" to brag about my friend Annie Salness...She is an artist who had a stroke a couple of years ago (she was right handed)...she now paints and draws with her left and it blows us all away that she can do that! http://www.oregonlive.com/north-of-26/index.ssf/2012/10/cedar_mill_artist_annie_salnes.html
I'm very right handed. Even if I put my fork in my left hand.....it feels "weird"!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks Rhonda. And yes, many were 'corrected' in school in the 50s and 60s and later instead of letting nature be natural.

Great story about Annie Celeste. Yes you can train yourself to use the left hand and practice makes perfect as she shows! My mentor in the UK many years ago, Tom Greenshields, had a farming accident involving his right hand and learned to draw and paint and sculpt with his left. It can be done!

suzanneberry said...

lovely sketch and great post my friend! i love stats! and i love your drawing, just wonderful.

thank you so much for your kind words on Chloe, so very much appreciated.and the studio and the suggestions for the portrait crisis!

i too am a total slack ass. i squeeze out big blobs with the greatest of intentions only to revisit the palette a week later to see it all dried.

hope you are well.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Thanks for the support Suz, its appreciated. My first love is drawing and I always forget how much I enjoy it until I get back into it again.

Watching paint dry. Seems to be our occupation huh? :)

Joe Stone said...

Your left hand art is awesome. You are a so brilliant artist. A big thanks for sharing !!